Wednesday 28 September 2011

The Disgusting Practice of Nepotism...in the Church!

nepotism [ˈnɛpəˌtɪzəm]
n
favouritism shown to relatives or close friends by those with power or influence


I recently started work for the South Eastern Education Board, and about a month in, I am finding it to be a great challenge. So different from Church youth work, and I can really feel myself being stretched and new skill sets being acquired on an almost daily basis (mostly paperwork I might add!). Before all this though, I had found myself to be in a very interesting, often difficult place. I would be bold to even say, I might have been wandering in the desert for a while!

In December 2010, a decision was taken which meant that upon completing my contract in Glenavy, I would be moving on. I have to add at this point, that this was absolutely the correct decision, and one I am glad for. I immensely enjoyed my time at Glenavy (5 years, 4 months), and really built up some firm friendships and learnt a lot about myself, who I am and what I want to be when I grow up! I am thankful that I still have links with that church, and actually enjoy just being a 'parishioner', not the youth WORKER! However, in December, this decision meant that I needed to get into gear and find myself a new job; a daunting enough prospect given the current economics of our land!

So, over Christmas I dutifully searched the usual places, and found quite a few I could apply for. The one thing that hit me initially was the thought that this time round I was actually pretty well placed-after all I had nearly 6 years full time youth work experience behind me, as well as several new qualifications in the youth work field. I got a few responses in those early months, and each one were happy to invite me for interview. I was pleased with this, as I knew that interview stage was half the battle, and being reasonably confident in myself and my abilities, I knew I would give a good accounting of myself!

First interview in, and it went well. I got asked back for another interview, and whilst I was not successful (no-one was on this occasion) my confidence had been boosted; this was, after all, only the first job I had applied for!

Second interview didn't go so well, but I had applied for this job not really looking to get it, but wanting the experience of more interviews. No need to say it, but I was not successful, but also not too bothered.

Third interview in, and this was a good job. This was perhaps the first interview I went into really interested in getting the job and thinking I could do lots here. I did an excellent interview in my opinion, as well as a near perfect presentation. I left feeling confident, but knowing that as with any job, you didn't know who else you were up against. However I felt I could not have done any better and surely I must have given the panel something to think about...I waited with anticipation for the letter to come back to me. When it did, it thanked me for my time, but that they would not be taking things any further with me. I was disappointed at this stage (which was about four months into the process of me looking for jobs), but I had faith that God would lead me to where I needed to go. I subsequently heard that this post wasn't filled at all, due to funding issues, but by the time I had heard this, it was too late.

I took a break for easter, and then got into full swing. I applied for several jobs at once. Whilst I had been disappointed with the outcome of my last interview, I knew I just had to keep plugging away. And then, perhaps the hardest couple months of my life started! Application after application was returned. They all said the same thing (as if churches had a stock letter for this situation); 'Thanks for your interest in this post. Unfortunately you have not been selected for interview. We wish you God's best in your future endeavors'! By the third letter I was getting frustrated. By no means am I an arrogant fella. However with my experience and qualifications I felt I should have at least been given an interview for most jobs I applied for. In fact, each one which refused me an interview, it would be fair to say I was overqualified for. This meant either there were people applying who were outrageously more qualified than me, or something more sinister!

Church youth work is a relatively small world. You get to hear things down the grapevine, and over time I heard things that really began to upset me. As I was plugging away looking for jobs, and continuing my post in Glenavy, the clock counting down to my departure date, I began to have inklings, suspicions and information passed my way. In essence, they all said the same thing; these jobs already had someone in mind. At first, I couldn't believe it. I mean, this seems too sneaky, doesn't it. It's something a business might do; write up a job for a specific person who you already have in mind (perhaps they already work in the company). No way a church would do this! If they advertise a post, surely they are going to do it fairly, and seek to get the best person for the post, not a favored candidate (who admittedly might be the best person also)! But my experience did not add up here. I was a reasonably well qualified youth worker (over qualified if going by the criteria many of these jobs had set), with 6 years experience of youth work, and a degree in theology. And yet I wasn't even getting an interview?

It was this period I found hardest. Not even getting interviews took it's toll on me. I started to get down, and was frustrated. At one point, my girlfriend tried to console me and suggested that knowing God, He would give me a job the day before I was due to finish my current post. At the time, it didn't take away the obvious sense of frustration I was feeling. I began to get angry at the church too. I felt that if there was one place on earth a person should get a fair deal, then surely it was the church. However, in my experience, the opposite was true-some churches were advertising jobs, getting people's hopes up, when in reality they already had someone in mind. There were just going through the motions to satisfy legal concerns. After about the third knockback (which got me really angry and actually resulted in me writing a letter to the church), I 'threw the head up' and decided to go outside the church. I applied for a job with the education board, got an interview, and within a week was offered a job. This only served to underline just how awful the church process was. It took me months looking for a job in the church, with many knockbacks, but go 'out there', and I was offered one immediately. It would be hilarious if it did not underline the seriousness of the issue!

Luckily for me, I did get a job...and it was offered to me the day before my contract with Glenavy expired (my girlfriend was right, as she always is!). However, I constantly hear about churches who offer jobs to family members of important members of the church, or people who have been serving in some role within the church for some time. Now, there is most definitely an argument to be made here that if people have been performing some of the roles of youth worker, and have built up a relationship with the young people in the church, then maybe they should get the job, for continuities sake. And whilst I would put some merit in this, is it enough to employ someone based on just the fact they are a member of your church, or have established a relationship. What about the dozens of other applicants who have worked for years in other areas, who are qualified and who can perhaps bring new ideas and new initiatives to the mix?! It only really takes about six months for any new youth worker to find their feet, so bringing in a new person does not mean the end of the world from a youth work context.

Church needs to be careful what message it sends to the outside world. Employing the daughter of this committee member, or the husband of someone influential in the church says that it's about 'who you know' in the church world, not how good you are for the post, whether this person is qualified or not. When it's seen as a common practice, that's when it is truly dangerous. In my experience, I have seen numerous job descriptions that seem to have been written up with a specific person in mind; obviously so they, over everyone else, can meet all the criteria, and legally be 'the best person' for the job. I think this practice means that churches miss out on some truly great youth workers. It means that young people may miss out on new opportunities as they are left with someone they know who may just continue on with the old way of doing things. And it means that honest to goodness brilliant youth workers are left unemployed because they aren't lucky enough to be 'known' by the church looking to employ.

As I look back at that time, it was difficult. I did find myself becoming very angry and frustrated with church. After being employed by a statutory agency, it saddened me that I didn't get as fair a deal in 'mother church', that I had to go outside the church to be valued based on my experience and skills, and not just on who I was (or who I was related to). It would be easy to look at this blog and call it a rant, but I can honestly say it isn't. I truly see the hand of God on the last few months as he guided me into the post I am in now (which I am over the moon to be in, despite, or maybe because of, it's challenges). Indeed, there have been other opportunities that have come about that would probably have never came to my door if I were still in church youth work. However, whilst I am happy on a personal level, I still find myself getting angry at the perception the church gives out to the world. Indeed, it isn't just restricted to offers of employment. Countless times I have heard the same story from people of how they were left out in the cold because they weren't part of the 'in gang'. How sad that church, the one place where all should be accepted and where all should get a fair deal, is the one place where many feel the opposite. As hard as it was for me when it came to NOT getting a job, I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be for those who are just looking to be accepted, to be involved, but who find the door closed because they aren't 'one of us'.

The challenge to the church is very clear, and not just in matters of employment. We must resist the easy temptation of choosing those we know or like, and be willing to meet new people, involving ourselves in their lives, take risks with the unknown, and not let our decision making (on all levels) be about who you know. There are gifted, talented individuals out there (in your church maybe), who could bring a whole new dimension to the work of your church...if you gave them a chance. Let church be the one place on earth where everyone get's a fair deal, and where you are cherished not on who you know, but who you are and the sum-total of who you could be with the gifts God has given.

4 comments:

urge2grow said...

Interesting take on cosy Christianity there! The question for me concerns whether a local church can take for granted that they are a divine institution regardless of what actually goes on / doesn't go on there. Being "in the know" in the hierarchial sense that you portray, often has little to do with knowing in the spiritual sense of being a part of the universal church.

Michael Johnston said...

Hey Stuart!!

While I sympathise and know how difficult it is to get a job in our current over-subscribed job market (5000 unemployed teachers for example), I think you're making a mistake in seeing the church as an employer in the same way we would a business or other organisation. In saying this, I do not in any way agree with the information you've been hearing (teaching was the same), but I don't think the church should 'hire' in the same way the 'world' does.

PS. when am I getting my next visa for a visit to the T66?

I'm trying to make what I'm saying clear without offending or bring really wordy. In a church, why bring someone in from the outside, who isn't connected to the church before someone who has shown the commitment and love of the place and people before the job appeared?

I really do sympathise (and congrats on getting a job!) but so often church jobs are seen as badges to collect (gotta get them all!) and then the person moves on to something else when a better offer comes along.

Unfortunately it's not a black and white issue. There are elements of both our points that are very valid and I acknowledge that, unfortunately, there will always be an element of who you know in life. Sometimes it works for us, other times against.

Interesting question though: if you'd got a job you wanted because of who you knew, would you still feel the same way, and if God has put you I. Your current job for a reason, would you then not be out of His will (while continuing to think you were in it)?

Coral Grier said...

Thank you for writting this. God Bless

Molar said...

Thanks for the comments.

I think that 'urge2grow' and Michael do raise interesting points. Of course, when we look with our spiritual vision, things in church should not be conducted like a business (although they often are, again just my experience). And I guess that my point wasn't really about me getting a job (or not). I use this experience in my life to point out something that goes a lot deeper within the church.

I do take your point Mike that credit should be given to people who have already sown time and effort into a place, and to an extent we shouldn't employ people the way businesses try to. In fact, I'd be all in favour of doing away with the whole worldy system that churches use, and using some spiritual insight when it comes to employment (and I am aware that in theory, many selection panels try to do this as well as selection criteria etc). However, what I was experiencing was the fact that I wasn't even getting a chance. How can anyone possibly make a spirit led decision when you don't even bother to meet with some people? And further, why was I not given a chance, in light of the fact that criteria had been met?

Now, all that being said, the deeper issue still exists; namely in church many are left to the sidelines because they aren't in the clique. I do appreciate this is generalizing to an extent, but how many have been hurt, and left bitter, because they were for all intents and purposes, ignored by the church? This is the scarier problem here. I mean, need for job aside, it wouldn't be the end of the world if I hadn't got a job in my chosen career field. However, for those left to the sidelines, it causes a lot of emotional pain, that some never recover from.

Mike, i'm not sure what I would do in the hypothetical you describe. I know in my last job, the daughter of one of the members of the selection panel knew of me and spoke highly of me. Is this the same? I'd like to say no, as others were interviewed, and they interviewed me twice, and whilst someone saying I was a good lad certainly did no harm, I don't think it was the reason I was employed. But there is a difference in employing all your knowledge and experience of a person (personal, interview and qualifications) to help make a decision, and have the decision already made before you even interview. As you say Mike, it happens in a lot of areas-job descriptions written up for specific people. I think anyone would say that's outrageously unfair. And to my mind, it shouldn't happen in church.

As for God's will, that's a whole other blog entirely lol